{Strawberry Challenge} Strawberry Spare Ribs

August 21, 2013

{Strawberry Challenge}  Strawberry Spare Ribs 士多啤梨骨As you may have noticed with my recent posts, I seem to have an endless supply of strawberries at home. No, I do not own a strawberry farm in my backyard, but honestly how much I wish I do. Continuing with my strawberry challenge,  this time I made Strawberry Spare Ribs (士多啤梨骨) for dinner. It is one of my favourite Chinese dishes of all time but it's rarely found in restaurants. Most places cook the spare ribs with oranges for the citrusy and sour taste. But with strawberries, there's a perfect balance of the sweetness and sourness with the ribs crispy on the outside and tender in the inside. It is very appetizing and addictive as a meal.
{Strawberry Spare Ribs 士多啤梨骨} Adapted from Sie-Recipe

{Ingredients}
1 lb of spare ribs
1 box of strawberries
1 diced onion
1 egg
cornstarch
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp tequila
1 tbsp soy sauce

{Sauce}
4 tbsp sugar-free strawberry jam
3 tbsp water
2 tsp white vinegar
2 tsp sugar

{Instructions}

  1. Mix jam with water, add in white vinegar and sugar. Set aside.
  2. Marinate ribs with soy sauce, sesame oil, tequila and egg for 30 minutes. Cover each piece fully with cornstarch.
  3. Fill a wok (or I use a small pot to save oil) with oil slightly above half the height of the pot and boil.
  4. In high heat, carefully put in ribs into the oil and fry evenly for 40 seconds.
  5. Turn off the heat, and fry again for 10 minutes.
  6. Turn on the high heat and fry for another 2 minutes, remove and drain.
  7. In a skillet, add oil, and fry onions until translucent.
  8. In medium heat, add in strawberry sauce and stir well.
  9. Mix in ribs evenly with sauce until dissolved.
  10. Add in more strawberry slices onto dish and serve.




At the end of the night, I have concluded that it is better to order this dish at a restaurant than to make it yourself at home. The amount of oil used, time and effort required are so intensive that I rather pay the money and have someone cook it for me. Nevertheless it is the only Chinese dish that I'm actually interested in learning to make and at least they tasted fantastic!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments! Come back soon :)

About Me


About [span]me[/span]
Hello, I'm Lorita. Hoping to inspire you to explore and create things that make life a bit more fun and beautiful.


Instagram