{Tutorial} How to make a Cute House Number for Your Sweet Home

November 23, 2016

{Tutorial} How to make a Cute House Number for Your Sweet Home



I have trouble finding a cute number plague for my new home after I moved in. I feel that the ones in Home Depot are too generic and lack personality. And almost every other house has the same one. And the price can range anywhere between $10-20 for a single digit number. What if my house number is in 4-digits? I'll be spending close to a hundred for just a house number! But thank God, I don't!

All this to say, there would never be a "perfect" number sign that matches exactly to what I wanted out there. So, making my own seems to be the way to go. At least, I could "perfect" it to how I wanted and control how much I really want to spend on it. And in the end, I would pretty much have something that truly fits my home decor and reflects myself as the home owner. *proud*


Here is what you'll need if you are on the same boat as me.

{Materials}

  • Round wooden plague (I got mine at Michael's)
  • White acrylic paint
  • Black acrylic paint
  • Gold paint
  • Sealer Spray Paint 
  • Paint brush
  • Jute ribbon
  • Faux lavender or flower of your choice
  • Glue gun
  • Twine
  • Heavy duty stapler

How to make a cute house number for your sweet home (DIY Tutorial) via angelichigo.blogspot.ca {Instructions}

  1. Pick out a font that you like for your house number
  2. Print out the house number with that font on a piece of paper and cut it out
  3. Trace around the cut out onto the plague with pencil
  4. Paint over the number with white acrylic paint
  5. Fill the background with black acrylic paint
  6. Cover the round area and paint the plague gold
  7. Let dry for a hour or so
  8. Spray over entire plague with satin sealer
  9. Make a bow out of ribbon and glue onto the top plague
  10. Insert faux flower and glue to the ribbon
  11. Make a loop out of rope and tie a double knot
  12. Staple down just above the knot onto the back of the plague
  13. Hang it up, you're done!
I find the best gold paint to colour a wooden plague is this metallic acrylic paint I found in Walmart. I tried using spray paint to speed up the process but the gold colour just didn't show up as vibrant and strong as if I used the acrylic paint.


How to make a cute house number for your sweet home (DIY Tutorial) via angelichigo.blogspot.ca

How to make a cute house number for your sweet home (tutorial)

How to make a cute house number for your sweet home (tutorial)

How to make a cute house number for your sweet home (tutorial)

How to make a cute house number for your sweet home (tutorial)

I love how the house number turned out! And just I love how a subtle change can make a big impact to a home. I can also easily change the faux flower depending on the season and occasion. For example, during Christmas time, I could change to evergreen leaves with berries; For Thanksgiving, I could substitute with orange leaves and wheats. I have so many options to dress up my house number with this simple project!

Happy DIYing!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments! Come back soon :)

About Me


About [span]me[/span]
Hello, I'm Lorita. Hoping to inspire you to explore and create things that make life a bit more fun and beautiful.


Instagram